Chelsea Football Club were formed on March 14, 1905 by Gus Mears, owner of the Stamford Bridge athletics ground. He attempted to persuade other clubs to move into the stadium but eventually formed a club of his own to fill it.
Chelsea is a neighborhood of London, although the club and stadium are actually based in the nearby district of Fulham.
The club's emblem includes a lion from the coat of arms of the Earl of Cadogan, the former Viscount of Chelsea.
The name of the stadium evolved from a bridge over the Stanford Creek, a local waterway that has since dried up.